The Hyperacusis Network Message Board
Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #1 
Some of you may disagree with what I am going to say, but I stand by my opinion and words.  If I do in fact have misophonia (which it seems I do) I really, really think it's a neurological (and a physical) problem.  For the time when I was wearing the tiny sound generators, it did take a while to work.  However I did notice an improvement of my tolerance of the sound of the letters P, C and K in spoken words.  It took a while, but I did notice an improvement.  I also stopped using earplugs when i started with the sound generators.  Everything was going fine until I lost them, and then unfortunately, I started to regress again.  People on here may disagree with the sound generators helping, but they honestly did help me and I am getting a new set very soon.  Like I said, it is the saliva & mouth sounds that bother me when people say words like Pine, Pie, Alpine, Pioneer, Pay, Paint, Pain, Paper, Car, Con, Cat, Can, Kick, etc.  The words (especially the P words) have a "wet" sound to them which drives me bananas.  I don't know any other way to explain it.  And yes, it does bother me when I say those sounds, but it doesn't bother me as much (which is really weird). 

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
Johnloudb

Registered:
Posts: 1,951
Reply with quote  #2 

I believe they did help you, Jen. I don't think anyone is disputing that. 

But, there is a psychological or neurophysiological component to our hearing and that's been proven again and again, and not just in the hyperacusis world. 

It's your ears, so do what you think will work for you. 

I really wish you the best success in your treatment.

John

0
Guflu

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 354
Reply with quote  #3 
They help me for my misophonia as well Jen!
__________________
It's the sparkle you become when you conquer anxiety. [Bjork-Crystalline]
0
aQuieterBreeze

Registered:
Posts: 2,083
Reply with quote  #4 
Dear Jen,

I think you may be misunderstanding what some here, perhaps myself included have said.-
I don't think anyone has really said the generators were not or would not be helpful to you.....
If you found relief with them in the past, I think there is a very good chance they will be helpful again.....

And I wish you the best as move forward .......

John mentioned-

I believe they did help you, Jen. I don't think anyone is disputing that.

I agree with that.
0
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #5 
Oh I'm sure there's also a psychological aspect of it, but for me it leans more towards neurological & physical.  It may not be that way for others, but for me it is that way.  Like I said, I can only speak for myself.  

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
janepm

Registered:
Posts: 1,644
Reply with quote  #6 
For Jen M.: I was reading some posts I haven't gotten to in awhile and on those soft sounds that people are sensitive to, has Marsha Johnson been able to come up with modalities that work for that?

I don't personally think that soft sound sensitivity is misophonia and I've learned in caregiving my husband's brain injury the last 3 years how much the brain does play a huge part in what goes on with our hearing and our perceptions. 

But Marsha may be a first stop, she was doing a lot of research on that when I was able to post more. 



__________________
Jane
0
DrJ

Registered:
Posts: 222
Reply with quote  #7 
Jane I am very up to date on Jen and her situation, and I would support her feelings and her experience.  The use of custom fit broad-band signal generators has proven very useful in cases of 4S over the years. 

We ought to be able to help ourselves by recognizing what helps us and what does not.....and then, please, tell others and your medical providers about your responses, so they can learn, too.

MJ

__________________
Marsha Johnson
0
saab1216

Registered:
Posts: 95
Reply with quote  #8 
It seems like everyone here has forgotten that I suffer with the same thing as JenMck! I cannot tolerate P,T,C and now F. It is a very distinct pronunciation that i am hearing with these consonants. I hear saliva all the time. The clicking is very sharp with the consonants! I have had the worst hyperacusis that finally dwindled down to this. Hasn't anyone even considered that I am at a final stage of hyperacusis sound sensitivity? I know that it isn't just misophonia because I cannot tolerate loud laughter or females high piercing voices.I have been wearing sound generators the whole time and yes it helped with the Loud hyperacusis to go down to almost nothing.It is VERY obvious that =I have a very acute sound perception to high frequencies which include Hard consonants and other speech patterns.This Again,I contribute to my Hyperacusis trauma of dec 08.
__________________
Paul H
0
Marilyn

Registered:
Posts: 194
Reply with quote  #9 
Nope, haven't forgotten you Paul.  How are you doing?  How's your week going? 

Jen, how are you?

__________________
~ Better days are ahead! ~
0
aQuieterBreeze

Registered:
Posts: 2,083
Reply with quote  #10 
Paul,

Someone posted a link in a new thread yesterday, for a new misophonia website- in the UK
it may be something to take a look at .......
0
LynnMcLaren

Registered:
Posts: 7,990
Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Everybody, (((( Smiles ))))

First of all Hi Jane How Are You?
You said you are doing much better and me too.
My ears have healed up alot not 100 percent like pre H but doing pretty good in the normal everyday stuff of life..
Going to the store ect...  
Beats how life use to be at one time...
But what you expressed... I agree with that too..

Quote:
I don't personally think that soft sound sensitivity is misophonia and I've learned in caregiving my husband's brain injury the last 3 years how much the brain does play a huge part in what goes on with our hearing and our perceptions


I think there is most likely more going on there reasons- causes that we may not exactly know what they truly may be at this time..
And we may someday have a better idea about what went wrong and the causes of, in the future.

Brain injury neurological issues neurological & physical..
Doesn't mean improvement is not possible there are alot of autistic children that have had improvement with neurological auditory issues just need to find what will work or be of help for Jen..
Lots of children with autism are on certain neuro- support supplements and it has been helpful for them.
And there is a gut neurological connection the "brain-gut" axis.  
Sometimes we need to think out of the box as It turns out that 5% or less of the body's serotonin is made in the brain..
But mostly in the gut so the stomach is important in neurological issues and other body functions/ illness's too.
You never know what may help it's a hit and miss thing in some cases.
Still searching for the cure but until then just searching for what could possibly help...
Thats how parents took the bull by the horns with autism.
And have helped their children with improvements out of the box of the standard way of looking at it.
Just need to find out what that could be for Jen.  

__________________
Take Care

Lynn
0
saab1216

Registered:
Posts: 95
Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks Lynn...My point exactly. I too believe that Misophonia is just a term that describes what people go through by the result of their inability to process sounds as normal. Of course I hate these certain sounds. Not only because they are un natural but also because they can be irritating and sometimes painful(sharp s gives me head pain).It seems obvious to me that some kind of brain overload takes place which stresses out the nervous system. This has caused me neck,head and even throat pain on occasion.It isn't just a hatred of sounds.That is suggesting primarily a psychological condition. I did not get hyperacusis by a psychological event. It was more of an acoustical trauma!As days pass,I notice marked improvement in many areas.It is this last stage of hearing sensitivity that deals with very high frequencies that involve human speech patters,pronunciations and pitch.I do believe that a brain malformation or injury can be the cause as well. i did mention that I have a few pinched nerves at the base of my neck which may play a significant role as well.I disagree that misophonia is anything else other than a mental reaction to something more physically significant .As for Jen,who experiences duplicate symptoms I suggest it to be physical as well.As far as a chemical or vitamin deficiency,that is also a possibility.However I do attest that it may be a physical breakdown due to stress on the auditory or neurological system.It still remains a physical malady not mental.Just my opinion Paul
__________________
Paul H
0
aQuieterBreeze

Registered:
Posts: 2,083
Reply with quote  #13 
Paul,

You mentioned-
Of course I hate these certain sounds. Not only because they are un natural but also because they can be irritating and sometimes painful(sharp s gives me head pain).It seems obvious to me that some kind of brain overload takes place which stresses out the nervous system.

What you are describing sounds like misophonia to me -
though  i am no expert. ........
I believe it is a severe dislike of sound.
(a dislike so severe at least in some cases - that among other things - it can raise stress levels and cause  "the fight or flight" response)

I agree it could have different causes. And different ways to go about treating it.
But I also think if you  were  able to reacclimate to the higher frequencies, that you still find so bothersome/difficult.....
you may find, that other sounds may be less bothersome......
(and if not, at least if you were able to reacclimate to the higher frequencies, that you still find bothersome, at least those would be more tolerable to you..
And perhaps that in itself would help your stress levels, and maybe that would help other things too?
(If you were not so stressed by the higher frequencies to begin with, maybe the other sounds would not be as bothersome?)
Just a thought, and I wonder sometimes, if you have given more thought to what you and Lynn had talked about .....in another thread, she had mentioned listening to music with higher pitch vocals at one time.....I think to work on that a bit at a time - over time, in ways that are appropriate and tolerable for you,  as you are able to do so - may be helpful.....adding to what you listen to,  to be able to tolerate more as time goes by...
But that is just my opinion......and I am not in the medical field.
And I hope that you find something that is helpful for you.

Jen,
My comments in this post are for Paul - and I think your situations are different in some ways, and i hope you do not take offense at what I have said.
 I do think the sound generators will be helpful for you, and I wish you the best.
0
aQuieterBreeze

Registered:
Posts: 2,083
Reply with quote  #14 
Jane,

You mentioned-
.......I've learned in caregiving my husband's brain injury the last 3 years how much the brain does play a huge part in what goes on with our hearing and our perceptions.

If your husband needed to have someone who understands about hearing issues --
he sure has the right person to be understanding and able to try to help him....
Hope things get better for both of you.
0
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #15 
No I don't take offense at all, it's ok.  I think the sound generators will help me.

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
Rob

Registered:
Posts: 4,049
Reply with quote  #16 
Jen --

You wore the noise generators for at least 20 months in the past and here is what you wrote about them at the time.

---------------   

3/2/06 -- And these ear units I use, are they white or pink noise or what?

 

5/7/06 -- I do have these ear things that hiss constant noise into my ears.  She said it's supposed to reverse the situation eventually.

 

5/8/06 -- I don't think these ear things I got … will help, yet I still wear them every single day. 

 

8/19/06 -- I'm using these ear things that produce pink or white noise (not sure which).  But it's taking a long time to work   In the meantime, I am going nuts.

 

8/27/06 -- Yes I am wearing the devices that spew either white or pink noise.  They haven't started to help yet, but she said it could take up to two years. 

 

11/14/06 -- I'm wearing these dumb ear units I got from...  But they don't filter out unpleasant sounds like words that contain an audible P or C.  So I can't wear them if I'm around other people, which I am all the time since I live with my family. 

 

11/26/06 -- Forget it, I'm going to throw these ear generators away.  They are A WASTE OF MONEY.  They're not helping me at all.  I'm still bothered by the P or C sounds.  

 

11/28/06 -- Those ear generators are a waste of time and money. 

 

2/16/07 -- … those tiny ear generators that go in my ears (and other people's ears), do they blow pink or white noise? 

 

3/31/07 -- Yes I have the tiny ear generators from ....  You can't even tell when I have them in because they're flesh colored and they're so small.

 

5/29/07 -- Well I am doing TRT with the pink noise ear generators.

 

5/31/07 -- Anyone who has used the tiny, flesh colored ear generators which hiss constant noise, I believe it's pink noise.  How long did it take for it to start to work?  Did you wear them all day long?  As you all know, I have major problems with consonant sounds ( P, and to a lesser degree, C ).  There are other sounds I have slight problems with, but nothing like the letter P.  That sound is totally intolerable to me, when I hear others speak words with an audible P in them, it bothers me so much, that  I go crazy.  Anyway can anyone tell me how long it took to notice a difference, and how many hours each day you wore them?

 

6/13/07 -- But anyone who has worn those in the ear sound generators, how long each day did you wear them?  And how long was it before you noticed an improvement?  A few months?  A year?  Two years?  I don't care if you had Hyperacusis or Tinnitus or the problem I have, I just want to know how long it took.  Because I am so hopeless right now.  Nothing is working for me. 

 

8/11/07 -- These ear generators that I have (I think they blow pink noise) are supposed to help.  However I can't wear them all day long, because they don't block out the sound of my mom (or anyone) speaking.  If my mom is around me, I can't wear them, I have to wear ear plugs.  Even they don't help much, I think they make it worse.

 

8/13/07 -- These are not working simply because I can't wear them for too long at a time.  The reason why I can't wear them for too long is because my mom is constantly in & out of the house.  While she's here, she talks and these pink noise devices don't filter out her speaking voice.  So most of the time, I have to wear earplugs and not these devices.  I think they were a waste of money because I'm not doing any better than I was before.  I can only wear them for short periods of time when she's not home.  I do wear them at night.  My hearing is still way too sensitive to the sound of people talking. 

 

8/14/07 --- How long each day did you wear your ear generators?  How long did it take for you to notice an improvement? 

 

9/3/07 -- I already have those tiny sound generators that go in the ears.  I got them from..., but they don't seem to be helping.  I don't think I have any other options except deafness, or near total deafness.  I can't even listen to my favorite singers or songs anymore.  I used to be able to handle listening to singing, but not anymore.  ... did say I have SSS Syndrome, and she said that the ear generators would help, but they haven't.  I have a hard time wearing them because they don't filter out people's speaking voices, and my mom is always speaking to me, or speaking around me.  I yell at her to stop, but she doesn't listen.  I get so angry at her that I want to hit her.  So it's hard to wear them all day long, because she speaks, or other people speak.

 

10/1/07 -- It's just not working.  The ear generators don't do crap for me. 

 

10/25/07 -- I do have those little ear transmitter things, but they're either not working, or they're taking forever to work.  It's driving me crazy.

 

12/5/07 -- Mine has not helped yet.  I don't wear them all day long because I can't.  The reason why I can't wear them all day is because I have people around me who talk (and I can't handle that), and they (the TRT ear things) don't block out the sound of people's voices.  So I can't wear them all day long, and I'm slowly going crazy by the sound of people speaking. 

 

 


0
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #17 
Rob they eventually did help, it just took a long time for them to start working, ok?  And shortly after I started noticing an improvement, I lost them.  How do you know so much about hearing issues & conditions?  Are you a Doctor?  I will only listen to a Doctor or trained specialist.

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #18 
And if the ear generators won't work because they emit broadband noise, then what will?  Are there any tiny ear generators for TRT treatment?  The reason I ask is because I cannot carry around a CD or something to listen to because I have a very active 2 year old who keeps my hands (and arms) very full.  If TRT takes all day long, then I cannot do it unless it's done through ear transmitters (or wireless headphones).  My hands and arms need to be free to take care of my son and do housework, etc.

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
Johnloudb

Registered:
Posts: 1,951
Reply with quote  #19 

TRT isn't just ear devices. The ear devices are helpful primarily with hyperacusis, but the real problem is how you respond to these sounds that cause you problems. You need to retrain these conditioned reflexes (i.e. the auditory subconscious) And, it does require psychological work. I've been doing this for some time and it works.


0
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnloudb

TRT isn't just ear devices. The ear devices are helpful primarily with hyperacusis, but the real problem is how you respond to these sounds that cause you problems. You need to retrain these conditioned reflexes (i.e. the auditory subconscious) And, it does require psychological work. I've been doing this for some time and it works. 


Oh I believe you, and I am going to try and do it (CBT) again, but I have to pay for the sessions since my insurance no longer will pay for it.  And I am very low income, so I don't know how I'll do it.  I was also told there are a number of meds that can help me as well.

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
DrNagler

Registered:
Posts: 218
Reply with quote  #21 
Jen posted:

Quote:
Rob they eventually did help, it just took a long time for them to start working, ok?  And shortly after I started noticing an improvement, I lost them.  How do you know so much about hearing issues & conditions?  Are you a Doctor?  I will only listen to a Doctor or trained specialist.

I feel I need to jump in here for a minute.

Rob is not a Doctor.  Rob is not a trained specialist.

On the other hand I am a Doctor.  I am a trained specialist.

And I gotta tell you, Jen.  Having read Rob's posts over the years, I can tell you that Rob knows more about tinnitus and sound sensitivity than 99% of the Doctors and trained specialists out there.  No question about it.  I, for one, certainly listen to him.  While I can't tell you to do the same, I assure you - you could do a whole lot worse!

smn

PS - I don't want anybody to think Rob's perfect.  I recall at least one time when he was wrong.  It was a couple of years ago, on a Tuesday.  He thought he made a mistake.  But he didn't!  :-)
0
saab1216

Registered:
Posts: 95
Reply with quote  #22 
Ive been listening to all types of music,alltypes of frequencies,watching t.v. at all volumes,speaking with all people and their saliva filled mouths.I have bombarded myself with pink sound,broadband,ocean waves,rain falletc.Nothing but time works! It is ever so slowly getting a little better for me.My left ear pops with sounds that are too high or sharp.My right ear rings with tinnitus.I take control and fight it every minute.This thing must have taken years to come on and will no doubt take years to totally succumb.I am in charge and I keep getting that through my brain.I WILL beat this I will!
__________________
Paul H
0
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNagler
Jen posted:

Quote:
Rob they eventually did help, it just took a long time for them to start working, ok?  And shortly after I started noticing an improvement, I lost them.  How do you know so much about hearing issues & conditions?  Are you a Doctor?  I will only listen to a Doctor or trained specialist.

I feel I need to jump in here for a minute.

Rob is not a Doctor.  Rob is not a trained specialist.

On the other hand I am a Doctor.  I am a trained specialist.

And I gotta tell you, Jen.  Having read Rob's posts over the years, I can tell you that Rob knows more about tinnitus and sound sensitivity than 99% of the Doctors and trained specialists out there.  No question about it.  I, for one, certainly listen to him.  While I can't tell you to do the same, I assure you - you could do a whole lot worse!

smn

PS - I don't want anybody to think Rob's perfect.  I recall at least one time when he was wrong.  It was a couple of years ago, on a Tuesday.  He thought he made a mistake.  But he didn't!  :-)
Ok, but how does he know all of this?  Has he devoted almost every minute of his life to this stuff?  Did he go to school?  Does he suffer from H or Tinnitus or Misophonia?  I don't care what or anyone says, the ear transmitters did start to help after a while.  It did take a while, but they DID help.  I don't care if nobody believes that, but it's the truth. That being said, I never said I'm not going to do other things like CBT or whatever.  I hardly have time to help myself because I am a single mother who rarely gets a break from taking care of my active 2 year old son.

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
DrNagler

Registered:
Posts: 218
Reply with quote  #24 
Jen asked:

Quote:
Fine, but how does [Rob] know all of this?

I don't have the faintest idea.  And frankly it doesn't matter one iota to me how Rob came to know all he knows.  I'm just glad that he does - and that he is willing to share it here!

There is so much garbage masquerading as information in cyberspace.  How refreshing to have a resource like Rob!

smn

0
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNagler
Jen asked:

Quote:
Fine, but how does [Rob] know all of this?

I don't have the faintest idea.  And frankly it doesn't matter one iota to me how Rob came to know all he knows.  I'm just glad that he does - and that he is willing to share it here!

There is so much garbage masquerading as information in cyberspace.  How refreshing to have a resource like Rob!

smn

Well the reason I asked is because I'm curious how he knows so much stuff.  Maybe he can answer it for me.  Anyhow like I said at the beginning, I am speaking for myself only, and I stand by what I said.  I know I don't have Hyperacusis, although I think I may be developing a slight case of tinnitus or something similar to it.  And some people call it Misophonia, while others call is 4S.  Are they two seperate disorders?  Or are they the same?  And what is the difference between broadband noise and the noise used in TRT?

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
Johnloudb

Registered:
Posts: 1,951
Reply with quote  #26 

Jen,

I think, Rob said he was treated for hyperacusis by Dr. Jastreboff (I'm not positive), the Dr. who developed the neurophysiological model for hearing. I sure Rob will chime in though. That's the model used in treating problem tinnitus and misophonia, and phonophobia. 

I know he's done a lot of reading on the subject, also. Dr. Jastreboff has two books as well - one he coauthored with Dr. Hazell and one he coauthored with Dr. Robb. I've read much of Dr. Hazell's book ( very easy reading actually ) but I don't have the one by Robb. So, the information is out there and accessible to everyone. Just, got to get the books. And then there is CBT which I haven't done but I might get into that too. 

Dr. J is the one who came up with 4S, as I understand. And there are different opinions about whether there is anything to that. 

I don't buy it myself, but that's just my opinion. Still, I think it confuses people and prevents them from getting help. The brain is very adaptable and this has been proven again and again. Even many people with brain damage can retrain their brain and over come or minimize their problems.

Everyone's ears are pyschological.  And if you don't deal that aspect of your hearing your going to have more problems. How we respond to sounds is all about beliefs about the sound. This is explained on Dr. Hazell's website ( http://www.tinnitus.org  ) and his book. 

Why don't you try some sound enrichment, especially at night. You can read on how to use sound enrichment here:  www.tinnitus.org  . That can help anyone's auditory system. It's much cheaper than ear devices. And also start doing CBT, you know, good thoughts. 

It's all about retaining.

John


0
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #27 
Thank you.  It's also all so very confusing and overwhelming to me (and probably to others as well).  Over the time that I have been on here, there have been arguments between people (I'm not naming any names) who insisted that they were right and the other was wrong.  I didn't know who to believe and whom not to believe.  I appreciate all of the helpful advice from everyone, but like I said it gets confusing and overwhelming.  If only I had more time for it I'd read the books, etc.  However I don't have hardly any free time at all.

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
aQuieterBreeze

Registered:
Posts: 2,083
Reply with quote  #28 
I would rather believe someone who is very intelligent,
who tells me there is something i can do -
about any particular challenge....
(especially someone who has nothing to gain by telling me that)
Than someone else, even if they are also very intelligent -
who says  little or nothing can be done.....

If we tell ourselves little or nothing can be done, we may tend to believe it-
If we go with the thought there IS something we can do, that will be quite helpful....we may look for ways for that to happen.
0
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #29 
If I had the time and money to do every treatment, I certainly would.  But right now I don't.  I speak of my experiences, other people may have different experiences, but nobody knows mine more than myself.  My wish is that everyone who suffers from whatever issue (hyperacusis, tinnitus, misophonia or whatever) can, and will, be treated successfully.  I don't care if I never like the "wet" sounding P and C and K sounds, I just want to be able to tolerate them a little more.  Even if it never goes away 100%, I would like for it to improve somewhat.  It is rare, but there are times when someone will say a P word and it doesn't bother me that much because it doesn't have that "wet" sound to it.  If their lips are dry, it's not so bad.  The same goes for when I say it, if my lips are dry and I curl them in a little, I can say words like "Pie" or "Pine" without it being bothersome to me. 

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
DrNagler

Registered:
Posts: 218
Reply with quote  #30 
What happens when you listen to a recording of sentences containing words with the P, C, and K sounds?

smn
0
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNagler
What happens when you listen to a recording of sentences containing words with the P, C, and K sounds?

smn
Same thing.  In fact recorded voices are the worst.  Like the greeting voices on a cell phone's answering service.  Or commercials like the voice on "Kaiser Permanente's Senior Advantage" commercial (in California).  They seem to accentuate (or exaggerate) the P, C and K letters in words.

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
DrNagler

Registered:
Posts: 218
Reply with quote  #32 
I understand, Jen.

What is your favorite type of music to listen to at home?

smn

0
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #33 
I don't listen to music anymore, but when I did it was classic rock. 

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
Gizmookie

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 342
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saab1216
I am in charge and I keep getting that through my brain. I WILL beat this I will!


That's the spirit Paul!!


Jen,

I think you need to do what you think will work for you.  If the ear generators help then by all means use them!  Plus, if you use the generators it may provide you an opportunity to work on CBT.   I know your insurance doesn't cover it, but you can work on it by yourself.   There are books you can get and although you are busy with your son, you maybe could read just a little a day until you know the basic steps and then you will be armed with that knowledge to use daily. 

I remember you saying you were going to try some meds for OCD as well?  I would bet that all of these things in combination would help you out.  The main thing is to stay positive.   You can do this

Darlene
0
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by saab1216
I am in charge and I keep getting that through my brain. I WILL beat this I will!


That's the spirit Paul!!


Jen,

I think you need to do what you think will work for you.  If the ear generators help then by all means use them!  Plus, if you use the generators it may provide you an opportunity to work on CBT.   I know your insurance doesn't cover it, but you can work on it by yourself.   There are books you can get and although you are busy with your son, you maybe could read just a little a day until you know the basic steps and then you will be armed with that knowledge to use daily. 

I remember you saying you were going to try some meds for OCD as well?  I would bet that all of these things in combination would help you out.  The main thing is to stay positive.   You can do this

Darlene
Thanks Darlene.  I'll look on amazon.com for some CBT books.  Are there any that you (or anyone) can recommend?  I agree that a combination of OCD meds, CBT and the ear generators (and maybe more things) would help.  I just don't know how this got started in the first place way back when I was a kid.  I don't know how it's caused.  Maybe something in my genes?  There is a lot of mental illness in my family, as well as psychological problems, depression, alcoholism, etc.  But somehow, some way it reared it's ugly head.

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
DrNagler

Registered:
Posts: 218
Reply with quote  #36 
Jen, may I ask why you don't listen to your favorite music - classic rock - anymore?

smn

(PS - The best CBT book out there is Feeling Good - The New Mood Therapy by David Burns.)

0
JenMcK

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNagler
Jen, may I ask why you don't listen to your favorite music - classic rock - anymore?

smn

(PS - The best CBT book out there is Feeling Good - The New Mood Therapy by David Burns.)

Because when they sing, the consonants on the words still bother me.  So I don't listen to music anymore, except maybe symphony music.

__________________
~~~~ Jen ~~~~
0
DrNagler

Registered:
Posts: 218
Reply with quote  #38 
Jen posted:

Quote:
Because when they sing [in classic rock], the consonants on the words still bother me.  So I don't listen to music anymore, except maybe symphony music.

Thank you for answering my questions, Jen.  Here's what I think - likely worth nothing more than you're paying for it ...

You used to enjoy listening to classic rock, but you don't listen anymore because the consonants on the words bother you.  To me that seems to be a very black and white way of looking at a world that is in reality filled with infinite shades of gray.  Perhaps you might consider listening to classic rock for half and hour or so daily in spite of the fact that the words bother you to some degree.  Maybe start with five or ten minutes and work your way up?  I realize that's a far cry from being able to listen to a TV commercial for Kaiser Permanente's Senior Advantage program without batting an eye, but it's a start.  And it gets you resuming doing something that used to give you pleasure.  The idea here is for you to bit by bit begin to build a résumé of success instead of having to focus on the things you feel you must avoid.

Just a thought.

And I do hope you'll find the Burns book to be helpful.  I did!

Best to ya ...

smn
0
Gizmookie

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 342
Reply with quote  #39 
Jen,

I agree with Dr. Nagler.  I know it's very difficult to do something that you know will cause you anxiety but it's necessary in order to move forward.   I used to go the the theater all the time to see movies but when this problem was at it's worst, I stopped.   I hated that because this stupid problem was controlling what I really wanted to do.   So, after practicing CBT for a while, I started going again to the theater.   It was hard, I won't lie, but I made myself a deal.... sit by the door and endure 5 minutes at a time of the popcorn munching.  After that I could leave if I chose.  What I found is that after lasting 5 minutes, it motivated me to stay longer.   I now sit the entire movie without leaving due to popcorn munchers.  I can even go in early and get a good seat.  I still have the problem, but I'm in control.  It's great to have that control back.

If there are things in life you truly enjoy, don't let this stop you.  If you love music (like I do) gain that control back and enjoy it again.  Focus on the tune, not the words.  Be positive about it... tell yourself that it will work.   The first time you get frustrated, don't give up, just hang in there.   You will find that being able to endure is empowering.   You can do this.

Darlene 

0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.



This message board is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to substitute for any medical advice. MANDATORY BOARD ETIQUETTE: 1. No personal attacks. 2. No profanity or use of inappropriate usernames. 3. No self solicitation of goods or services. 4 No discriminatory remarks based on race, gender, or religion. 5. Prohibitive postings include the following: discussing or suggesting the intent to end one's life, moderating or actions made by the moderators, and/or revealing personal information (full names, address, phone number). Rule infraction may result in either a warning or ban, depending on the severity. Kindness matters.